Work It Wednesday - Hillory Renkema
Ambitious. Creative. Outside-the-box. Amazing aesthetic. These are just some words that completely embody Hillory Renkema. Did we mention her aesthetic reminds us a lot of Work It Social? Let's learn more about this talented blogger extraordinaire in this episode of Work It Wednesday!
1. First off, share a little about you. Who is Hillory Renkema?
Hi - my name is Hillory and I’m a little fresh to the blogosphere, but i’ve created my own personal lifestyle, beauty and DIY blog called firsttimethings.com. I also work in eCommerce as a Web Content Producer, so my life is definitely super involved in the digital world!
2. What is Hello Hillory all about? And what was the inspiration behind it?
My personal brand and blog are all about things I love: my first time visiting new hot spots or testing out new beauty products! I started my blog to reflect my love of trying new things - you can never run out of new things to experiment with.
3. You describe yourself as someone who's "sort of new to this whole blogging thing." What did you find most challenging about starting your journey? I definitely think that the most challenging part about starting my journey was learning how to reach out to companies or pitch campaigns. Luckily, my boyfriend, Jonathan Cavaliere from Mr.Cavaliere, has been a huge help!
4. How would you describe your personal fashion style? How has this influenced your Instagram feed?
I think my personal fashion style can be described in three words: floral, pastel and PINK! If I can have any combination of those three things in an article of clothing, it's a good day. My Instagram feed reflects this - and I love it!
5. You take the most gorgeous flatlays! Any tips to share?
You can never go wrong with a good flat lay. If you want to get more into it, think in layers. Sure, so many flat lays look amazing when products are simply laid out, but you can really get a great depth and complexity in your photos when you layer pieces.
6. What project are you most excited about right now?
So many projects! In particular, I'm super excited about this DIY that I'm doing to an old chair I found. Let's just say, it's going to be super cute (HINT: and possibly pink!)
7. Who are YOUR favourite bloggers today and why? My boyfriend is obviously one of my favourite bloggers (what kind of girlfriend would I be if I didn't say that?!). I also really love my friends blogs, Playing with Apparel (for amazing photos), My Miaou (for sharing the love of pink) and Didier YHC (for beautiful writing).
8. Favourite inspirational quote?
"You can do anything, but not everything."
I know that doesn't sound super inspirational, but whenever I'm stressed out and running from work to events, I think about that quote and remember that it's okay to take a break and focus on what you need to get done. It is super easy to actually sit down and accomplish the goal you're hoping to achieve, but everyone gets stressed out with too much on their plate!